Sunday

The Sonnets of Sorrow and Joy



These 20 Sonnets have an (ABABCDCDEFEF-GG)
rhyme scheme. Written in 2002 in USA

#1
Long suffering that ends,does lead to joy,
The time when one should count his blessings good,
And sorrow without end,tends to annoy,
Until the suffering is understood,
Or how can there be darkness without light,
Or there be sunshine,without times of rain?
Or how can there be wrong without the right,
Or be there loses,without also gain?
So one can not live without the other,
And yes,we only hurt the ones we love,
Til time once again finds us together,
And joy comes down upon us,like a dove,

Sorrow and joy,apart do often stand,
But walk the road of life,both hand and hand.

#2
O Lord,my joy is in my suffering,
Since it is for you,that I now suffer,
To make me stronger and more enduring,
Around the edges,a little tougher,
Becoming a great soldier for you,
Lord,I put my armor on and take my shield,
I gird my loins to fight,I grab my sword,
And head out to your holy battlefield,
Each battle that I fight makes me stronger,
Turns me into a man from just a boy,
The sorrowed war each time,lasts yet longer,
Until the victor's end,turns it to joy,

Each night I pray,your joy for me,O God,
Each day the battlefield,for you I trod.

#3
I rejoice in you Lord,who gives me joy,
And peace of mind when things are often wrong,
Although the roads and methods you employ,
For happiness are hard and often long,
Never the less,I travel each long road,
Knowing that it leads to your joyful door,
The dear sweet place called heaven,your abode,
That place longed for a thousand times before,
Without suffering,what use is heaven,
Comparing pain to joy,or joy to pain?
Without sky,what use are wings to raven,
Who could not fly,their wings to lose or gain?

So I rejoice to pain,joy to suffer,
Yet happiest,when the road is rougher.

#4
The joy of the Lord is now upon me,
It makes me dance,like David in the streets,
I laugh at what other men can not see,
What's bitter to them are to me but sweets,
Sometimes inside my loathsome prison cell,
I laugh aloud,and sometimes wear a smile,
The other prisoners think I'm not well,
Staying far from my cell for a good while,
Save that they do not know,when I am glad,
It is the Lord's spirit upon me then,
They all want me to act like I am sad,
Or rough and tough like all the other men,

But I act only as the spirit leads,
And not for theirs or my own selfish needs.

#5
Dear joy,why have you gone far from me now,
To leave me in my prison cell alone?
Or maybe I was wrong to think somehow,
You never would again from me be gone,
You left me,leaving sadness in your place,
And with him his ill friend,ol depression,
Of you I can not find a single trace,
Or recall to mind your sweet impression,
And yet I pray you will return again,
Like a season returning sweetest spring,
Renewing the old,and freshly begin,
With you my heart rejoicing,then shall sing,

Sorrow and joy,like seasons come and go,
The more the joy,also the more the woe.

#6
Lord,renew the joy of my salvation,
I need it now while in my prison cell,
I miss those smiles,of my sweet elation,
Like when at first,I rang your holy bell,
And you did open up your door to me,
When first I saw you standing there,my Lord,
You brightly shining through eternity,
"Come in my son",you said,is what I heard,
But then from you,somehow I strayed away,
Returning to the house where once I was,
Before I knew you,and learned to obey,
Now you stand outside my door,sweet Jesus,

I hear you knocking,you want to come in,
To restore my joy,and forgive my sin.

#7
I suffer,when I think you're not with me,
I suffer,when I can not hear your voice,
I suffer,Lord,a life of poverty,
I suffer,cause I don't have a Rolls Royce,
I suffer,Lord,inside my prison cell,
I suffer,when I'm free on the outside,
I suffer,when I think I'm going to hell,
I suffer,Lord,when from your love I hide,
I suffer,when I want but can not have,
I suffer,when I need but can not get,
I suffer,Lord,for you my soul to save,
I suffer,when my past,I oft regret,

I suffer,every day and every night,
I suffer,Lord,to do for you what's right.

#8
You suffered,Lord,while nailed to a cross,
But all your joy,was then to die for me,
You suffered,to spare man from heaven's loss,
But did it without spite,and joyously,
You suffered,when they scourged your body raw,
But did not curse them,and did not fight back,
You suffered to obey your Father's law,
But were content,although your needs did lack,
You suffered for those who lost faith in you,
But never lost your own faith in your God,
You suffered for the saving of a few,
But never stopped that painful road to trod,

You suffered to save man from burning hell,
But never thought to stop,your love to tell.

#9
To suffer now in faith is my desire,
Even as you yourself did suffer too,
With hidden fear to God,did you inquire,
And asked of Him three times,to then spare you,
To suffer now and die is all my need,
Even as you yourself did also die,
With hidden pain did your sweet body bleed,
And watched your friends watching you dying,cry,
To suffer now with joy,is all my prayer,
Even as you yourself did suffer,Lord,
With hidden pain did you your burden bear,
And paid what no one else,could ill afford,

To suffer from your death upon a cross,
With outward love,gainst man's eternal loss.

#10
It gives me joy,knowing that I am yours,
O Lord my God,and lover of my soul,
I'll be your soldier,fight in all your wars,
Uplifting righteousness shall be my goal,
You created the heavens,and the earth,
You are my God,and I am your creation,
You gave me life before you gave me birth,
To love me in a holy relation,
I am most happy when I follow you,
I'm never hurt,when keeping all your laws,
You are my shepherd of sweet morning dew,
Who leads me to green meadows,without flaws,

O Lord,keep me with you forevermore,
Leading me o'er the fields,to heavens door.

#11
Cruel winter has set into all my joy,
Leaving my soul as cold as blizzard snow,
Large hail stones raining down on me destroy,
The faith in you,O Lord,I once did know,
My hands once used for praying,now are numb,
My feet now frost bitten,no more can walk,
My body soaks,as all the waters come,
The storm is loud,I can not pray nor talk,
The wind from every side,whips me around,
I can not find the path that leads to you,
I try to walk,I stumble,hit the ground,
I'm blinded by the storm,I have no view,

But then my name,I hear you calling out,
And crawl toward your voice,from coldest doubt.

#12
When sorrowfully suffering I go,
Toward the bitter winter of my doubt,
Behind me faith,before me only woe,
Although I try,I can not turn about,
Ahead the clouds are dark,the thunder's roar,
I can not see the road,there are no skies,
Behind me is the road to heaven's door,
But without light,can't see it with my eyes,
So then I stagger in the rising storm,
I rise and fall,beaten by heavy wind,
I try to spot a place that's dry and warm,
But no such place for me am I to find,

Til looking back,I see you beckon me,
And follow you to heaven faithfully.

#13
O Lord,you are the sunshine of my joy,
Like rays of light to warm my coldest woes,
Which woes,would my poor heart come to destroy,
If not for your warm shining light,God knows,
You shine your light to chase my blues away,
When most it is,I am ill with sadness,
You light my path with the brightness of day,
So I see your path,that leads to gladness,
O Lord,you are my joy and all my light,
Without you I would walk in darkest cold,
You lead me down the path of warmest right,
So all your laws I gladly do uphold,

You lead me to warm light from coldest dark,
Where for your loving words,I calmly hark.

#14
You are the,Lord and God,of everything,
You create both peace and create evil,
You wash my feet as servant,are my King,
You created Jesus and the devil,
You love whom you shall love,hate whom you hate,
You punish some while others you reward,
You know each man's heart,and soul,each man's fate,
You have been hated,and have been adored,
You need to be loved as you need to love,
You make war with your enemies to win,
You live in hearts of men,yet live above,
You want to forgive everyone their sin,

You love me even though I sometimes frown,
You hate those,Lord,who kick me when I'm down.

#15
Ill sorrow,why have you come back to me,
Did I not send you far from me before?
I packed your bags,and shipped you out to sea,
Telling you,I don't love you anymore,
Yet here you stand at my front door again,
Telling me that you love me ever still,
Save God will have to forgive me my sin,
Of letting you in,so you I can kill,
I'll bury you in my backyard at night,
So there will be no witness to this crime,
I'll kill you in the basement,out of sight,
It's best for me in the morning time,

Wait,where are you going,don't run away?
I Vant to have you for dinner,please stay.

#16
How can I comprehend how great you are,
Creator of the heavens and the earth?
No beginning,older than any star,
My God,you never even had a birth,
Just how long have you really been around,
Or can a human mind even concieve?
That such a timeless date,can not be found,
And if so,how could any man believe?
Lord,you have always been as you are now,
How many other times have you made life?
Who else before men,before you did bow,
Only to end as we,in bitter strife?

How long,O Lord,by yourself did you live,
With no one else to love,your love to give?

#17
Thank God,that you are such a loving God,
Maker of sorrow,but also of joy,
Imagine if the roads of life I trod,
Were created by you, just to destroy,
Then there would be no such thing as heaven,
No loving kindness,no mercy nor grace,
No son of yours would die to save all men,
Instead there would be hatred in love's place,
A life without a single drop of love,
From an evil creator would be sad,
There would be no prayers to a God above,
Only a hell,whose God stayed always mad,

Thank you,you are a loving creator,
If not,life would be one big disaster*.

#18
Peter did walk a few steps on the sea,
But even that was something to behold,
With faith so great as that,could make one be,
As great as Christ Himself,his faith unfold?
So then,if Peter did it,why can't I?
More than a few steps,I'll walk the whole way,
I shall not be afraid,I shall not die,
I shall not sink,but walking I shall stay,
O Lord,not for me do I ask this thing,
But as a testimony to you God,
So everyone shall know that you are King,
As I across the sea shall calmly trod,

Through faith,Lord,I can do all things I want,
Save all those things,which I believe I can't.

#19
I praise your name giving you the glory,
For there is no other God before you,
Nor shall there be in future history,
A God so great that does the things you do,
You're loving kindness is for evermore,
You're grace and mercies are,Lord,without end,
They'll be none after you,nor was before,
Who from their heaven down to men descend,
Who sacrifice themselves unto their death,
To save a creature,that did love them not,
Forgiving them even to your last breath,
Paying a price for souls,your death had bought,

You are so wonderful,it makes me cry,
To think that just for me,you God,would die.

#20
The clouds,Lord,are dust on which your feet ride,
Above the joy and sorrow of all men,
The form of you above the clouds does hide,
To strengthen mankind's faith in you amen,
You dwell within a cloud of darkness,Lord,
So even though I'm looking,can not see,
That part of you that lacks descriptive word,
Your sweet face shining through eternity,
Nor can any man,Lord,look upon you,
Lest they all,Lord,should faint and quickly die,
Yet to behold you,Lord,what shall I do?
Since I can not look on you with my eye,

The only way to see you in this life,
Is looking through my sorrow,joy,and strife.

The End

© 2002 Angel De Fuego

Enjoy. ADF
9/16/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment